Saturday 8 September 2012

Retarded Fish / That Fucking Tank / Protectors



 Retarded Fish / That Fucking Tank / Protectors
The Hop, Wakefield
7th September 2012

Time slows to the rhythmic breath of a terminally comatose car crash victim. Three beads of sweat shimmer in the stage light and find a forking path down the face of the hot and sweaty man. Aside him, the taut figure of his punk rock brethren reverses his muscular, ripped upper limb in preparation for a colossal chord unleash. God’s own bass drum kicks like an atomic tequila slammer, a shudder – nay, spasm – or aural endorphin ripples through the room, the religious fervour of the crowd heightened to cosmic possibilities. The man atop this plinth of adulation turns, microphone gripped, to his waiting masses. “Nakkas” he says. “Nakkas, Nakkas, Nakkas.”

Rewind five months previous and who would have thought this bunch of boozers would be headlining at the legendary Hop venue? No me – I’d never heard of em. Fast forward a month from that and these guys are supporting The Cribs. Talk about career trajectory! And yet here I am, at their last ever gig. The light which burneth twice as bright burns half as long. In that case, these guys are like them shitty bath candles you get in Wilkinsons – two burnings and we are done! Pretty lazy. Least, I would have said that but I now see they encapsulate a raw (and rare) true punk spirit. But lets get back to some proper chronology (fast forward four months, then rewind two hours).

Now, sadly, I missed opening act Protectors due to traffic issues on the M62 which in my day simply wouldn’t have happened. I’ve written a strongly worded letter on the matter and expect a reply in the next fourteen days. I hear second hand that their greatest hits set – for singer Chris is now retiring from live performance – was a thing of beauty and was really quite moving. I know a kindred spirit when I hear one, and the fact he has been part of some of the greatest Wakefield bands and produced some of its best music ever obviously puts us in close company. Another thirty years and you’ll be up there with Clive Smith, son! But the title of legend is truly deserved.

Which fucking tank? That Fucking Tank! I did arrive in time for this interesting rock n roll band and they nearly blew my bloody ears off! They certainly know how to rock the house (pub, in this case) and despite their singer not turning up it is a pumped turn from the groovy tank brothers. Judging by their aggressive moniker I expect the singer would have been quite confrontational. I’m glad he wasn’t there to be honest; there’s no need for that kind of thing. Boys – you are here to entertain. In fact, I’d go as far as to say – drop the frontman, you don’t need him. That one’s for free fellas.

But the audience are here for one thing only. The return of the fish-boys. Despite encouraging everyone to pretend its 1995, the year punk ‘broke’ you may recall, these guys are so about the present, the today, the now. Perhaps a modern reference would be a useful journalistic tool to help illustrate this point? So, these guys remind me of The Expendables (they don’t, I’ve never seen it) in that they are four legendary, iconic rockers coming out for one last mission. That mission? To rock!

And like a clever film, the end of the review returns to its opening image. With the energy of men 7/8ths their age, they blast out a slurry of punk noise, sweat poring out of pours, muscles rippling in the half light. It’s nice to see some real men rocking out for a change instead of these twee kids and their humility. Life begins at forty and Retarded Fish prove that tonight. They remind me when music was fun and about hanging out with your buddies with a few ales. It’s funny and like a big celebration and I’m sad to see them leave the stage after only half an hour, though with all the head bopping I was doing, it was probably for the best. A great night that made me feel young and hopeful about the world. Retarded Fish are just one of those bands you wish you were in, you know what I mean?

Words: Clive Smith
Follow him on Twitter HERE
Photo & Video: Dean Freeman


No comments:

Post a Comment